Monday, September 3, 2012

Antique Dresser Redo!


I found this old dresser at an antique store for a good price; and I feel in love with it right on the spot.  It only had minor structure and cosmetic problems that I could see at the time.  I did run into a problem with a very strong old smell within the dresser.  I think it might have been in storage for a while with a furry resident in it.  Needless to say I cleaned it extremely well and let it cook in the Texas sun for several days.  I did run into another small problem with humidity during staining.  I did not put two and two together that hurricane Issac would mess up drying time.  Fortunately the Texas sun did not fail and it heated everything back up.  


All I wanted to do after repairs was to remove the present varnish and add a darker stain to what was already there. After doing that I had planned on using a harder finishing product like finishing paste.  However in the end I chose to use Feed-N-Wax.  In my mind it gives a piece or more natural look.  The next three pictures will give the color change as I cleaned and re-stained the piece.

Day of Purchase.

After Removing Finish.


Finished Piece!  SUPER HAPPY!





2 comments:

  1. It looks great! You are so good at giving old pieces new life. Love the finished color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Chas, You have been busy ! Turned out really nice.

    ReplyDelete